Friday, August 12, 2011

Why is my washer making a burning smell?

I live in a summer home for half of the year and for fall and winter i live in my usual home. A couple of years ago I decided I didn't want to have to drive up to the house every day to do laundry so in 1998 I built a barn out back of our summer home and put a washer in it and hooked up cold water to it and all that, anyway when I leave the camp for the winter I usually remember to put anti-freeze in the washer and run it on spin so the anti freeze could go through the pump so it wouldn't freeze in the dead of winter, but for some reason I forgot to put anti-freeze in it this year and when I came back to test the washer in spring 2011 I turned the timer to 10 as usual and filled it to small size load anyway when it started to wash it washed like it usually would, i watched it wash then I waited until it started spinning and when the timer clicked to spin it made a loud buzzing and didn't move for a couple of seconds then it started to slowly spin and made a high pitch whining sound and then the power went out, so I reset the circuit braker and put the washer on spin and it did the same things except it started to squeel loudly then it made a strong fowl burning smell and it blew the circuit braker again too.it is a Crosley/maytag heavy duty 20 pound capacity washer, what is the problem and is it worth fixing???

No comments:

Post a Comment